Lunch + Learn: Mini Civic Boot Camp – Civil Rights, Then & Now
In this bite-sized version of Seattle CityClub’s full-day Civic Boot Camp Program, Civil Rights, Then & Now, we will begin to discover how Civil Rights history has shaped the present, and learn how you can exercise your civil rights today.
Seattle CityClub is a nonpartisan, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization improving the health of the Puget Sound region by providing programs that bridge politics, sectors, and generations to inform and engage residents and community leaders. Every year, Seattle CityClub programs serve over 4,000 Puget Sound residents in-person, and an additional 26,000 residents through social media and website content.
About Civic Boot Camp
Civic Boot Camp is an immersive, full-day program designed to give participants the tools to take action in the community. You’ll have the opportunity to:
- Connect with local leaders
- Network with professionals from all sectors
- Learn about our region’s history
- Learn about local solutions
- Take action towards increasing the civic health of the region
More about the full program:
What You’ll Do:
- Listen to presentations about Seattle’s civil rights history.
- Walking tour highlighting historic landmarks, local services and projects.
- Participate in discussions with local leaders about current civil rights issues in the Central District.
- Attend workshops/group discussions related to civil rights and communicating across differences.
What You’ll Learn:
- The historic and current context for the civil rights movement in Seattle.
- The impact policies, programs and projects have on the Central District.
- Local leaders’ and participants’ perspectives on civil rights.
- Communicating across differences.
- How to get involved to advance/advocate for civil rights.