What Is An Impact Hub Host?
The Impact Hub Host Team actively supports the staff by assisting with day-to-day management of the space, providing programmatic support, and identifying educational, inspirational and networking opportunities to share with the community.
Hosts are the nexus of the community and an extension of the staff team, we expect them to treat the role with the same dependability and professionalism as another valued position. We request prospective Hosts to carefully consider their personal schedules before applying. We expect hosts to complete the duration of the 4-month commitment because full participation is vital to the health and smooth operation of our community. We expect hosts to be on-time and engaged for the duration of their shifts.
In addition to supporting day to day operations and programs, Hosts help create a positive, welcoming environment – knowing members and their businesses by name, making them feel welcome, special, connected and armed with the resources they need to operate in a focused, productive work environment!
A team of 15 individual hosts each commits nine hours/week to support the Impact Hub community. The number one job of an Impact Hub host during your shift is to provide a positive, welcoming, functional environment for our members and guests, which includes helping the staff to manage the space itself, and connecting with members. We do this by working together symbiotically as a team: transparency, communication, taking full responsibility for ourselves and building trust with one another are key elements we work on collaboratively as a group to make everything tick.
Physical tasks involve bending, stooping, lifting, walking, talking on the phone and in person. Examples of physical tasks are providing concierge service at the front desk, answering the front desk phone, making coffee, stocking kitchens, tidying the space, assisting in set up/tear down for events, etc.
Virtual tasks require the use of a personal phone and laptop to use our digital communication and project management tools during Host shifts. Tools used include Google suite, Slack, and Asana.
We recognize our incoming Hosts have very different physical and technological backgrounds. If you have questions regarding the flexibility of Hosting duties, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us!
At least two Hosts are on duty at any time between 8am and 5pm, Monday through Friday. Hosts share responsibilities and work as a supportive team to reach goals. Hosts will not be required to work on weekends.
- Four-month time commitment
- Two shifts per week that recur at the same time throughout the 4 month commitment
- Shift times are 7:55am – 12:35pm and 12:25pm – 5pm Monday through Friday
- You may work back-to-back shifts if you prefer to work one full day and the schedule allows for it
- Mandatory monthly Host Team meetings (last Wednesdays 9:30am – 11am)
- Shift swapping options are available in case of foreseen absences and/or emergencies or illness
TRAINING / ORIENTATION
Hosts need to learn a lot about our space very quickly! To get them up to speed at the beginning of their 4 month time-commitment new hosts are required to attend:
- Two training days (approx. 4 hours each)
- Two shadow shifts (4.5 hours each)
In addition to formal training, hosts are provided with written resources, such as our Host Manual, to support knowledge of Impact Hub and the Host Program. Veteran Hosts will also be an invaluable resource for new Hosts in learning and understanding the flow of daily operations.
- Open the space for members in the morning, or close the space in the evening;
- Serve as a Front Desk Concierge, greeting everyone who comes into the space with a warm and welcoming attitude;
- Ensure members are caffeinated by making coffee throughout the day, setting out snacks;
- Keep the space tidy and in working order (running/emptying the dishwasher);
- Introduce yourself to and learn about the members around you so you can connect them to each other;
- Answer questions from members and guests about Impact Hub and how the space works;
- Provide tours to potential members and guests;
- Help manage inventory and distribution of supplies;
- Assist members and public clients with their conference room reservations;
- Provide support for member programs and events
Hosts will have a virtual daily checklist, specific to the shift, that will guide them throughout the day and report directly to the Community Manager.
For one, completed four-month commitment as a Host, you’ll receive:
- An unlimited coworking membership (access to our building 24/7) for six months, valued at $2,070 ($345/month) (four months during the hosting commitment, and 2 months immediately following);
- Access to Full-Time member pricing on all conference rooms and event spaces throughout the duration of their membership;
- Curated, thoughtful introductions to the movers and shakers in the Seattle social enterprise community when requested;
- References from core team members to put on your resume going forward;
- Access to interest groups and networking opportunities within the Impact Hub membership for finding careers and jobs that you’ll love.
ARE YOU OUR NEXT HOST?
Successful hosts are: dependable, proactive team members who thrive in a dynamic work environment; socially-conscious, communicative, and enjoy engaging with new and different people; excited about exploring new tools and resources, and making connections according to their discoveries. They are eager to build relationships within and around the Impact Hub community, and appreciate the unquantifiable value of these connections both personally and professionally
What you put into this experience is what you will get out of it! Becoming an Impact Hub host is great for people who are new to Seattle and want to plug into a community of changemakers. If you’re in -between careers and want to connect with a variety of different startup companies and social change organizations all at once, this opportunity is for you. If you need a space to build your next project and want to contribute to the community while you do it, this role is designed with you in mind.
APPLY TO BE A HOST!
Ready to apply for one of our Host positions? Please fill out this application. We accept applications on a rolling basis, and will contact new applicants as needed. Email email@example.com with questions (no phone call questions, please). Thank you for your support of our mission!